Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thou shalt hear a voice saying "this is the way, walk in it."

That's the Scripture passage I think about periodically when my my very bored, monotone sounding GPS system talks to me.

Her favorite phrases seem to be "recalculating" or "turn left" or "turn right" or "arriving at destination." I have often wondered what sort of adventure it would take to make her seem less bored. However, no matter how many wrong turns I make and regardless of the rate of speed I make them at, she always sounds very bored.

I felt a little foolish plunking down the money for the system several months ago. I feared that it would be some electronic gadget that would lie around collecting dust after minimal use. However, two months into my time in Houston, it has proven to be a lifesaver and has probably payed itself off in gas saved by not wandering aimlessly around this sprawling metropolis. It is quite phenomenal really. I can type in "post office," and it almost immediately lists the five nearest post offices.

Recently someone asked me how to get to one of the hospitals I have been to a number of times. I gave them a blank look and replied that I really had no idea... I just followed my GPS.

My only complaint is that it sometimes makes me do things that I think are downright cheating. For instance, I was in a traffic jam the other day, and it told me to get off at the next exit. I did so, thinking it had calculated some wonderful backroad plan for getting me to my destination. A la contre, it immediately got me back on the same highway at the next entrance, probably having gained me two car lengths by getting off and on the highway. However, she sounds bored even when executing such devious plots.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scribbler said...

Using Gerald's GPS to go to the airport last week was a first for us. It did eliminate a lot of hassle; immediately told us to make a U-turn when we missed a road and got us back on track. But I couldn't help asking Leroy if he trusts a woman's directions. :-)

4:55 AM  
Blogger Miller scribe said...

As more & more of our friends buy GPS, I still maintain it would be a waste for Richard- that he would argue with it.
Last spring at the truck show I saw a man with a teeshirt sporting 10 Ways to Know You're a Truck Driver. I had the impulse to either ask him to stand still long enough for me to write them down OR follow him like a stalker scribbling furiously to get them all before he disappears in the huge crowd. To my delight, one was "If you know directions better than your GPS". :)

5:17 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

The GPS manufacturers had an automatic market equal to about 50% of the population. Now men really don't have to stop to ask directions! Dallas set our GPS to use a man's voice from the British Isles. It sounds more professional that way.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are trusting that your GPs brings you back to Central GA sooner than later. But, be sure to have a tiny bit of time available so that we can offer some Southern Hospitality :)

Was great to finally meet you, Little Brother.

Brother Ricky

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter