Saturday, July 29, 2006

Being painted with the Landis brush

After being slightly apologetic in my last posting, Jennifer reminded me that "the blog exists for man, not man for the blog." Therefore I should feel free to post as frequently or as seldom as I feel led to. Point taken.

Being Mennonite in a non-Mennonite setting is always an interesting set of circumstances as I'm sure all of you know. The past week or I've been the recipient of many Landis jokes. One of the surgeons who followed the Tour de France very closely and was rooting for Landis was convinced that I have many of the same mannerisms, eye movements etc that he does. He blamed this on our common Mennonite background. Not having seen these interviews, I can't comment.

Then the blood test came back positive for testosterone, and I became the butt of jokes regarding Mennonites and testosterone. His time in the media spotlight has led to many questions from people about Mennonites and what exactly they believe and are. The longer I am here, the more people feel comfortable asking me those questions. I welcome them as a chance to explain my faith.

If you're interested in Floyd Landis, my aunt is acquainted with his family and has had some insightful blogs on his rise and fall. She is at... http://graylaners.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger Japheth said...

I too live in a non-Mennonite community and have had a number of people "inform" me that the winner of the Tour De France is a "backslidden Mennonite." I have struggled as to how to respond in a charitable way to their questions as to why he is considerd a "backslider." I do welcome the chance to share about my faith but it is difficult to find the words when it seems others only want to find fault.

Keep your light blazing bro!! And yes, this blog does not need to be the highest priority in your free time! Though we do enjoy when you write!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Darren Byler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emergency riding tien utopianism races serdia tells edouard mcglown bihar tulloch
lolikneri havaqatsu

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Free Counter